Wednesday, February 5

In The Bowls Of The Mighty Storm…Life Goes On Down Here On The Farm…


Here we sit, watching the dreaded snow falling at a brisk rate one moment and merely spitting a fine fluff similar to flurries a few minutes later.

 The view out the sliding glass door when I let the dogs out this 20 degree morning...
 Although pretty...we really didn't need this!

 
We must have a good 4 of the 12 to 16" predicted...
 
It is very pretty, though we really didn’t want to see it anymore this winter, but what are you gonna do…its winter?
They are calling for 12 to 16 by tomorrow evening when it is to stop. All we ever know for sure is the old saying that has held true for many, many years…”Whatever it is, the weather will be!” We now have about four inches, so I suppose getting to twelve is probable…sixteen, we’ll see tomorrow afternoon.
 
 The Lumber I selected for my wheel lathe...
 
 
 Cutting it to size....I just knew I'd use this recycled stuff...
 
 
 Our friend Shelly took this pic as I drove past her...
 
 
 The wood set up to thaw and dry out...
 
 
 I saved all this lumber for several years...
 
My wheels will look like this...but much BIGGER!
 
Above is a picture of the lumber I chose for my wheel lathe. I placed it in the barn so I wouldn’t have to dig under snow to get the planks. Our friend Shelly snapped the picture of the wood in the trailer as I drove past her on her way out to her car. She will be watching to see what this same wood looks like assembled into the lathe. The last two pictures are of the wood cut to length and sitting in the basement to thaw out and dry before assembly. I hope to start it today or this evening. We sure won’t be going too many places in this messy weather, that’s for sure. The picture of the wooden drive wheel is what I will primarily make on the wheel lathe I am building. The difference is that this one has a diameter of about fifteen inches. The wheels I will make will be about a thirty inch diameter…thus, the need for a special lathe.
The $12.50 band saw...
 
The picture above is the $12.50 band saw I bought at the auction a few weeks ago. It is now mounted and up and running. It works great!

 
The best and easiest way to spin yarn I think!!
 


These are the Mayan spinners I am making for sale on the internet and in our store. They are the easiest way to spin yarn I’ve ever seen and I’m sure you can teach a kid to spin pretty easily with one of these. I’ll do a video when we place them on-line, showing Vick spinning with it. We are also creating our own fiber blending board right now. The first one is almost done and we’ll post some pictures of it as soon as it is dry and assembled. I’ll soon start building regular and Jumbo spools for flyers too.


Above you can see that egg production has returned to about normal. We got 35 eggs yesterday so the supply will hold steady for our local customers again.

 This worm is about the size of a grain of rice...
 Through the super magnifier lens...
Next to a penny for size comparison...
  

Finally…looking at the pictures above, does anyone know what kind of worm this could be? It was in a hardened, cocoon sort of clump in the alpaca fiber Vick is processing. It was alive…which is amazing because the bag of fiber has been sitting in a closed brown paper bag in the feed room for over eight months. I took the picture three ways and beside a penny to show the size of the little bugger. (no pun intended)


Finally...we are installing the security system that will monitor the house on every floor, the barn, fiber shop and both entrances of the drive way. It’s not a difficult system to install, but the wiring is a pain, either running it into the basement or exposed around the corners of the rooms to where the cameras will mount. Once installed, we will be able to view the farm and house from anywhere we are on our IPhone that we have service. I need to design and build an audio alert that calls us if the dogs raise cane in the house. That way if anything happens, we will be alerted and can see why they are barking.  

Oh, don’t forget to go to http://www.cluckinacritterfarm.com to check out the specials for this week. They go off on Saturday evening at 5:00PM.
If you like what we talk about and the pictures we show, why not become a follower? Join at the right by clicking on "Join this site". Also, feel free to leave a message anytime…about anything I write. Skip

071967 Cluckin' "A" Critter Farm, LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you try to advertise on my comments section, I will delete your advertising. All comments must be posted in English or they will also be eliminated.